Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Blame the Canadiens.

Life has gotten away from me.  In a good way.  What I mean is things are good and getting better.  School is once again kicking my butt and I'm asking myself why I decided epidemiology was my interest instead of boring old policy.  And there is light at the end of the Alabama tunnel.


Last weekend was the kickoff to Mardis Gras season.  Mardis Gras was started in Mobile, AL.  Mardis Gras is really a family friendly thing.  Bourbon Street in NOLA is an exception.  Mardis Gras season means parades and parties.  The first parade of the season is on Dauphin Island.  It was Saturday.  And it was a big deal.  People started camping out the day before.  Areas were roped off to save them.  Motorhomes showed up.  Huge grills started to line the street.  Traffic was slow/backed up about 4 miles leading onto the island (one way in/one way out).  It was my first ever Mardis Gras parade and it was fun.

There were hillbillies on a float.  
A Hawaii themed float.
A monster truck.

Moose had a blast until the horses showed up, but he quickly got over them and when horses passed again he was fine.  Springer loved all the people loving her. I did not show my boobs (seriously, it was very family friendly).  I did not eat any Moon Pies.  Nor did Moose.  I call that a success especially in light of what happened the next day.

Superbowl Sunday.  My mom hosted a party which sort of obligated me to go.  I planned on ducking out after halftime because I really don't care about football and the game is on really late if you don't live in Hawaii.  I knew I could watch all the commercials online the next day and the commercials haven't been that great in recent years.  I was rooting for the Seahawks.  I didn't necessarily think them to win, but I wanted them too.  I entered a pool.  Pick the winning team and the score.  Who ever picks the right team and closest to the total score wins.  I was the only one who picked the Seahawks.  I won the prize money.  But I lost big at not eating junk at the party.

By the time the party came around I was starving.  I used to Superbowl parties starting early afternoon not early evening.  I brought food I could eat.  And a good amount of it.  Usually nobody touches the food I take to parties down here.  It's healthy.  And foreign.  And doesn't have Velvetta in it.  But snowbirds have arrived on the island.  Some from Wisconsin (who showed up with homemade goat sausage...YUM!!!), some from Minnesota, some from Canada.  I blame the Canadiens.  They tried my food first.  And declared the beet and cashew dip recipe I got from an Australian friend) was amazing.  It was.  Then the dates wrapped in bacon (which probably didn't need their endorsement).  And pretty soon all the food I brought was gone.  Even the vegetable crackers.  All that was left was sugar added gluten filled food.  But I was still starving.  And the game was so much like a train wreck I could not look away.  And I wanted to be there to collect my money!  I ate junk.  At first I tried to stick to not eating gluten, but after you've thrown in the towel and are already eating stuff that is going to make you feel like crap, why not go all the way.  So I did.  My first taste of gluten since mid october.

The next day I woke up feeling like crap.  And looking like it too.  My face was puffy, I had dark circles under my eyes.  These are things my mom and neighbor noticed.  My toes and fingers were swollen a bit.  I felt like I had a hangover, but I only had one drink (bourbon) all night.  Now I know for sure how I will feel if I eat like crap.  I will never do that again (well, maybe for one day right after a big race.  Or two days).  Damn Canadiens.  Who I really do love because we have a lot more in common than anyone else on this island (that's a politically correct way of saying they aren't rednecks).


2 comments:

  1. Excellent blog you’ve got here.It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! Please check out my site.
    Swimming lessons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog you’ve got here.It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! Please check out my site.
    Swimming lessons

    ReplyDelete